With gas prices so high travelers will want to use the least possible number of gallons while seeing all of the best sights. Below we summarize our recommended itinerary with mileages for each stretch. Notes ( ) give approximate mileages for selected side trips and options. All mileages are one way unless otherwise marked RT. For current road conditions go to LIST OF HIGHWAYS. For fuel and campground prices go to our Estimating Costs section
Prince George - Dawson Creek via Hart Hwy: 250 (1)
Dawson Creek - Whitehorse: 915 (2)
Whitehorse - Haines Junction: 100
Haines Junction to Haines: 300 RT (3)
Haines Jct. - Tok: 297
Tok - Glennallen: 139
G.A. - Valdez RT: 230
G.A. - Anchorage: 189
Anchorage - Seward: 127
Seward - Homer: 270
Homer - Anchorage: 323
Anchorage - Denali N.P.: 237
D.N.P. - Cantwell: 27 (4)
Cantwell - Paxson: 135
Paxson - Fairbanks: 185 (5)
Fairbanks - Tok: 206
Tok - Dawson City: 187
Dawson City - Whitehorse: 338 (6)
Whitehorse - Watson Lake: 270 (7)
Alaksa Hwy - Meziadin Junction: 350
M.J. Stewart/Hyder RT: 90 (8)
M.J. - Yellowhead Hwy: 96
Kitwanga - Prince George: 300 (9)
Total of above, Prince George to Prince George: 5561
Selected Side Trips and Options:
1. P.G. - D.C. via Hudson's Hope Loop (preferred): 329
P.G. - D.C. via Tumbler Ridge (senic): 309
2. Atlin RT: 120
Klondike Hwy Jct. - Skagway RT 198
3. Haines Junction - Haines side trip highly recommended. Water transportation available to Skagway, Juneau.
4. D.N.P. to Fairbanks direct is 121 miles vs. 347 via the Paxson - Delta route, but you miss some of the best scenery on the trip.
5. From Fairbanks: Deadhorse 1000 RT; Arctic Circle Wayside 370 RT
6. We recommend driving at least as far as the Tombstone Range on the Dempster Highway 120 RT. Junction - Iskut: 912 RT. Silver Trail 140 RT.
7. Actually, Cassiar Hwy Jct., 12 miles west of W.L.
8. Highly recommended. Allow extra miles to drive to mining district and Salmon Glacier.
9. Kitwanga - Prince Rupert: 300 RT
Kitwanga - Lava Beds Prov. Park: 220 RT
For approach route recommendations see our START page